Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Startling Statistics

This weekend a friend asked me why I would need radiation if the surgeon says she got all of the cancer out with the lumpectomy. Good question! The answer has to do with statistics. Interesting how everything to do with my cancer so far incorporates math and science into it. God knows how my brain works and responds and has allowed me to see the beauty and orderliness of His creation and perfect world even through cancer.

A quote from my medical oncologist:  "There is a reasonable probability that you are cured but we don't have enough information about ACC to say for sure. Chemotherapy won't alter the outcome but radiation is very important to help limit local failure."

The interpretation of that statement is:

  • The cancer was probably only localized in the one area so no need for chemotherapy which travels throughout the entire body looking to annihilate cancer cells and anything else in its path.
  • The 2 surgeries were probably successful in removing all of the cancer, but just in case there are some renegade cancer cells hiding out (local failure), radiation will search and destroy in the area receiving the radiation.
  • Radiation basically just improves my odds against recurrence. 
So here are my newly learned startling statistics:
  • Recurrence with "normal breast cancers" can be about 25% over 5 years. Radiation takes that percentage down to 4-5%. They are hoping ACC behaves like a typical breast cancer. 
  • My surgeon was at a breast cancer conference all last week and gave me this startling statistic that they now have research to prove: In the general population, if you are not overweight and you exercise regularly, you improve your chances of NOT getting breast cancer by 30%
So here are my personal action points:
  • Start 35 radiation treatments beginning June 4th
  • Started back into running this weekend and it wasn't too bad :) so will continue with regular exercise
  • Will continue to monitor my caloric input even though I am a hopeless Foodie and love to eat 
All is well.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. I am learning a ton. Sorry you have to learn all of this, the hard way.

    Thinking and praying for you often.

    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is such a learning process. I am glad your doctor knows chemo does NOT work on ACC. Radiation does seems to really help keep local recurrence down. I am approaching my five year mark and my oncologist sees it as a victory as well, but all my research shows that ACC spread often does not occur in the first five years...its very slow growing (yippee) but can show up decades later (boo!) You'll be followed a lifetime for sure. You have an amazing attitude and faith will see you through. Keep writing.

    ReplyDelete